The Ministry of Defence is one of the largest real estate owners among Estonian state institutions.
Management, construction and administration of real estate of the Ministry of Defence and its agencies are the tasks of the Estonian Centre for Defence Investments.
624 properties and 578 buildings
The area of government of the Ministry of Defence includes 624 properties and 578 buildings, most of which are managed by the Centre. This includes all buildings, training grounds and facilities that are used by the Defence Forces and by other institutions in the area of government of the Ministry of Defence, including the Estonian War Museum in Viimsi and the Seli Health Centre.
Management of real estate
The Infrastructure Department of the Centre for Defence Investments brings together construction and real estate experts, engineers, management and maintenance specialists who until now have been employed in the Ministry of Defence and the Staff supporting the Defence Forces. Their task is the development of the whole national defence infrastructure, including the organisation of planning, construction and management of real estate, carrying out activities related to the management of real estate.
Development and Construction
The Infrastructure Department plans new developments and organises the preparation of planning, design, construction, acquisition, sale of real estate, cadastral surveying and organises, if necessary, rental procurements, as well as ensures that development and construction activities are consistent with environmental requirements.
The Infrastructure Department arranges, if necessary, support for allied units and supports logistics of major military exercises, as well as orders technical expertise and valuations for the NATO Security Investment Programme (NSIP).
Real Estate Management
Administrators and specialists of the Infrastructure Department organise the administration of real estate, maintain accounts of sites. Real estate administrators are in all regions.
Infrastructure Department plans the development of exercise areas of the Defence Forces, including the purchase and sale of land and landscape works - forest felling, road and infrastructure construction, and compliance with environmental requirements.
Before starting the design work, experts of the Infrastructure Department organise the necessary preliminary studies, environmental and risk analyses and environmental impact assessment. If necessary, the Infrastructure Department orders special studies, including studies of noise.
In co-operation with the Defence Forces, construction experts have completed the design of a standard barrack that has been used to build barracks in the Kuperjanovi unit, Viru Battalion, Ämari air base and in other military units. The design was completed by taking account of training needs of the Defence Forces, it is economical and it is continuously updated.
Development and construction 2017–2020
In 2016, the canteen of Mine Harbour was renovated and the barracks for allies in Tapa and the service and study garage for CV-90 was completed. The development of the Central Training Ground of the Defence Forces was continued, designs for roads and facilities of the campus were completed, and national special planning was commenced.
In collaboration with the local government, roads and the heating pipeline were renovated in Tapa. The close combat exercise area adjacent to the Tapa compound is being developed and private land is being procured for this purpose. This year, storage capacities of the Defence Forces have improved. The building for the NATO Force Integration Unit was completed.
Major projects to be completed in 2017:
- Nursipalu Training of the environmental impact assessment, training and facility design
- Construction of the Jõhvi engineering park
- Construction of Tapa infrastructure (canteen, barracks, equipment for storage sheds, equipment, warehouses, roads, squares, fencing, garages).
- Service centre of the Sirgala training field
Border mark of the Klooga Training Area
- National special planning of the Central Training Grounds of Defence Forces with research
Renovation of historic heritage
In addition to new facilities, a number of historic buildings under heritage conservation have also been renovated - historic barracks of the current Kuperjanov Battalion, historic mine storage of the Naval Base that today houses the barracks and former torpedo shed that was rebuilt into a canteen, the building of the General Staff of Defence Forces, the Estonian War Museum, building of the General Laidoner museum (Viimsi manor house), buildings of Seli health centre in Seli manor house estate.
Over the past eight years, the Ministry of Defence has spent approximately EUR 38 million in renovating buildings protected under heritage conservation.
Seli Manor Complex in Rapla County
Built and rebuilt repeatedly from the 18th to 20th century, renovated in 2005-2015. Currently used as health and rehabilitation centre for the Ministry of Defence.
Võrus Barracks, packing campus
Built in 1932, 1936, 2002, and renovated in 2007, it is used today as the barracks for Kuperjanov Battallion.
Defence College in Tartu
Built in 1938 - 1940 and renovated in 1998-1999, it is used as a study building of the Baltic Defence College of the National Defence College. The same building also houses the Tartu unit of the Defence League.
Estonian War Museum - Museum of General Laidoneri in Viimsi
The manor was built for the first time in the 18th century, rebuilt after 1865, renovated at the end of 1990s-beginning of 2000s. The building houses the Estonian War Museum - General Laidoner Museum.
Building of the General Staff of Defence Forces in Tallinn
Built in 1925 as a military hospital and renovated in 2002. Currently houses the General Staff of Defence Forces.
Historic buildings of the Mine Harbour
Torpedo shed - built in 1925, renovated in 2015-2016. Currently used as the canteen for the Naval Base.
Historic mine storage facility, built in 1913, renovated in 2014-2015. Currently used as the barracks for the Guard Battalion and for office space.
Järve 34A, Tallinn 11314